Despite their small size, Antigua and Barbuda are two of the most popular tourist destinations in the Caribbean. The twin-island nation is one of the Caribbean’s most prosperous nations. Tourism dominates Antigua and Barbuda’s economy, accounting for 60% of the GDP and 40% from investment, and the government is working to attract more visitors and investors to the islands.
Antigua and Barbuda’s Citizenship by Investment Programme is one of the most popular programmes of its kind in the Caribbean. The country’s Citizenship by Investment Programme offers investors the opportunity to obtain Antigua and Barbuda citizenship in exchange for qualifying investments into the country.
Learn more about the programme and let Integritas handle your application if you are interested.
The Benefits of Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment
There are several benefits in obtaining Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment:
- The Antigua and Barbuda passport allows visa-free access to over 150 countries, including the UK, the Schengen Area, Singapore and Hong Kong
- Personal security (comfort and security in the event of political and social upheavals)
- A single investment covers an entire family of four (4)
- The country’s CBI programme has been ranked first in the Caribbean region and fourth worldwide
- No language tests
- Minimal stay requirement (five days over five years)
However, citizenship under this programme is not open to citizens of Afghanistan, North Korea, Somalia, Yemen and Sudan, Iran and Iraq unless they satisfy rigorous conditions.
There are four main ways of acquiring citizenship:
1. Contribution to the National Development Fund (NDF)
- For a family of four (4) or less, the contribution required is USD 100,000
- For a family of five (5) or more, the contribution required is USD 125,000
2. Investment in Real Estate Projects
- At least USD 400,000, pre-approved by the Government
- Alternatively, two related parties can make a joint investment, with each applicant investing a minimum of USD 200,000 to qualify
- The real estate investment must be held for at least five (5) years
3. Investment in Government Pre-approved Businesses
- For independent investment, the contribution required is at least USD 1,500,000
- Alternatively, as a joint investment where each person invests at least USD 400,000, with a total investment of at least USD 5,000,000
4. Contribution to the University of the West Indies Fund
- The contribution required is at least USD 150,000, which includes government processing fees for a family of six
This option is only permitted for families of at least six (6) members.
The fees mentioned above, except contribution to the University, which includes processing fees, do not include the following additional administrative fees:
- Processing fee of USD 30,000 (for a family of 1-4) plus USD 15,000 for any additional person
- Due diligence fee of USD 7,500 for the principal applicant, USD 7,500 for a spouse (there is no due diligence fee for children under 12 years old), USD 2,000 for children aged 12-17, and USD 4,000 per dependant 18 years old and over
- USD 300 passport fee per person
- USD 17,500 for the licensed agent fee
The additional administrative fees amount to USD 63,700 for a family of four (4) with children under 12 years old.
The due diligence process is moderate and successful applicants may acquire the passport in approximately 3 – 4 months.
Antigua and Barbuda Quick Facts
- One of the Caribbean’s most prosperous nations
- Major language: English
- Area: 442 sq km
- Population: 95,000
- GDP: USD 2.4 billion
- GDP per capita: USD 26,300